- Three years skydiving experience
- 500 free-fall jumps
- USPA or FAI expert license
- At least 18 years of age
- Holds or has held any USPA instructional rating or foreign equivalent
- USPA D license or foreign equivalent
- Logged 500 jumps (logbook verification required)
- Minimum 3 years experience in parachuting (logbook verification required)
- Current FAA Class 3 medical certificate, military or foreign equivalent
- Please bring copies of the above along with your logbook(s), photo ID and USPA membership card or foreign equivalent.
The UPT tandem course usually takes 3-4 days depending on weather and number of candidates. You should prepare for one full day of classroom instruction complemented with demonstration, videos and techniques.
There are 10 jumps in the UPT TICC that are broken down into two classifications.
- Training: jumps 1 thru 5
- Practice: jumps 6 thru 10
Normally the training jumps are conducted with SVPS instructors as the tandem pilot or passenger. Experienced jumpers who meet the requirements may accompany a candidate on a practice jump but only after a pre-jump briefing and with the approval of the course examiner.
- Day 1: verification of requirements. Classroom lectures, demonstrations & videos. Tandem techniques; exits, drogue fall, canopy & landings. Jumps 1 & 2, candidate in passenger position and jumping solo with tandem rig, (time permitting).
- Day 2: classroom session, videos and demonstrations. EP review, evaluation jumps 3-6, (time permitting).
- Day 3: EP review, completion of evaluation jumps. Complete any unfinished course business. End of course interview.
- Day 4: if needed, completion of any course business.
After completion of the course the candidate will be on probationary status until he/she has completed a total of 25 jumps, (including the 10 course jumps).
UPT TANDEM CROSS TRAINING
If you already posses a current tandem rating from an approved tandem manufacturer and have a minimum 100 jumps on that system, you can cross train to a UPT tandem rating. Cross over candidates will attend UPT’s classroom/ground school and make at least two evaluation jumps. Please contact SVPS for pricing on cross-over training.
For the course candidates should bring:
- Medium or baggy jumpsuit
- Open face helmet, frap hat
- Audible altimeter if you have one
- Wrist mounted altimeter
*Candidates are welcome to provide their own tandem systems as long as the gear meets the following:
- Must be in date
- All components must be in compliance with manufacture’s guidelines
- Equipped with an approved AAD in working order
- In an overall air worthy condition
All systems will be checked by an FAA rigger before be used in the course.
For gear rental and packing prices, please e-mail us via our contact page.
UPT RATING FEE:
There is a $50 UPT tandem rating fee upon successful completion of the course.
Download Instructional Course